July 1, 2020 |
The Rare Barrel
We're Hiring | Chef/Kitchen Manager/Cheese Specialist
Title: Chef/Kitchen Manager/Cheese Specialist
Do you love cheese?
The Rare Barrel, an all-sour beer company based in Berkeley, CA, has an immediate opening for a full-time position as our Chef/Kitchen Manager/Cheese Specialist. We are searching for someone responsible and trustworthy who can match our passion for sour beer and commitment to quality. Prior experience working in a commercial kitchen is required. A strong knowledge of cheese, charcuterie, and pickling is required as we are looking to develop a menu that is focused heavily on cheese. This is a unique opportunity for a highly creative person looking to take the next step in their culinary career. This opportunity provides the creative freedom to create a cheese-focused food program from the ground up and manage all aspects of it. This position reports directly to the Tasting Room Manager.
Hours: 5 days per week (45+ hours per week), approximate hours: Wed 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, Thurs - Fri 3:00 pm - 11:00 pm, Sat 12:00 pm - 11:30 pm, and Sun 12:00 pm - 9:30 pm, plus occasional on-site special events.
This is a physical position. Applicants must be able to lift 60 lbs. (this is a bona fide occupational qualification), be able to stand for long periods of time, and be comfortable working on their feet.
Safety must always be a priority. Due to the physical nature of the job and the inherent risks of working in a production facility and kitchen, performing this job safely must be your first priority.
Applicants must be honest, trustworthy, dedicated, hard-working, self-motivated as well as possess a great attitude and attention to detail. A personal commitment to cleanliness and organization is required.
Applicants must be able to work a flexible schedule. Nights and weekends are a must.
Must love sours.
Must love cheese.
Menu Creation and Management:
The Chef/Kitchen Manager/Cheese Specialist will take full ownership of all things related to the food menu. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Create a cheese focused menu that changes regularly, focusing on sourcing local, high quality ingredients. The menu should include, but is not limited to: antipasti, foods fermented in-house, salads, sandwiches, entrees and desserts.
- Create unique recipes for all sections of the menu.
- Work with the Tasting Room Manager to determine portion sizes and pricing to achieve food cost goal.
- Ensure menus for daily service are printed in a timely manner and free of errors.
- Create menus for special events held in the brewery.
- Build relationships with local food producers and purveyors.
- Stay on top of industry trends to keep the menu interesting and current.
- Build knowledge of TRB beer and be able to recommend pairings with menu items.
The Chef/Kitchen Manager/Cheese Specialist will take full ownership of all things related to food service. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to recipes and cooking standards.
- Execute daily service, including cooking and plating of all menu items.
- Prep foods for daily service on a daily/weekly basis as needed.
- Order food products at sufficient levels for maintaining smooth service, and ensure they are received in correct condition.
- Ensure that proper food handling/storage procedures are being followed at all times.
- Create and follow proper plating and presentation standards for all dishes.
- Open and close the kitchen on a daily basis, following checklists for all areas of the kitchen.
- Ensure that all equipment is maintained and in safe, working order. Schedule maintenance technicians when needed.
- Maintain proper cleaning procedures for all kitchen areas including, mats, shelves, equipment, storage areas, etc.
- Ensure that we pass all Health Department inspections without any violations.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Maintain an advanced level of understanding of how to operate the POS system.
- Maintain an up-to-date, comprehensive knowledge of labor and food safety laws.
- Attend weekly meetings with the Tasting Room Manager and/or Sr. Management to discuss challenges/successes of the food program.
- This position is responsible for training, oversight, management, and improvement of the staff members that work in this area. This includes, but is not limited to the Tasting Room Staff scheduled to work in the kitchen and any other kitchen employee.
- Create training documents for the kitchen staff to reinforce best practices and ensure they are performing to your standards.
- Schedule labor as required by anticipated business levels, ensuring that all positions are staffed.
- Provide kitchen training and orientation to all new Tasting Room/Kitchen employees to ensure they understand expectations of food safety, cleanliness and service efficiency.
- Communication: This position will need to make sure information across the department is not only accessible and organized, but presented to the staff to ensure they do their jobs to the best of their ability and make the brewery better. Communicate efficiently with the staff to ensure your ideas and opinions are clearly presented, while being cognizant of managing your and the team’s time responsibly.
- Organization: Maintain a clean and organized work space, which includes, but is not limited to the kitchen, dry storage area, and cold storage.
- Department Audit: A yearly review of the department’s successes, failures, pitfalls and future suggestions. This should be a thorough review and detail each area under the department's purview.
- Cost Analysis: Creating monthly reports to ensure the food cost goals are consistently being met.
Pre-employment background check, DMV check, and drug test required.
The Rare Barrel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.
If you are interested in applying to this position, email your resume and cover letter in a single PDF attachment to email@example.com with the subject title “Chef/Kitchen Manager/Cheese Specialist – FIRST AND LAST NAME”. Please do not send resume and cover letter in the body of the email or in different file formats. Thanks!