July 31, 2029 | The Rare Barrel
We're Hiring | Assistant Tasting Room Manager
The Rare Barrel, an all-sour beer company based in Berkeley, CA, has an immediate opening for a full-time position for an Assistant Tasting Room Manager. We are searching for someone responsible and trustworthy who can match our passion for sour beer and commitment to quality.
This position will require availability for 5 days per week, Wednesday-Sunday, which will be a combination of 1 Administrative Shift and 4 Tasting Room Shifts.
Administrative shifts, which do not include situations in the line of customer service, will occur every Wednesday and will generally be limited to a sum of 8 hours per week.
Tasting Room shifts are currently Thursdays 3:00-11:30PM, Fridays 3:00PM-11:30PM, Saturdays 12PM-11:30PM, and Sundays 12:00PM-9:00PM. Availability for special events, which occur around 5-7 times per year, is also required. Hours of operations are subject to change.
This is an hourly position, with competitive pay and opportunity for overtime. You will be included in the tip pool for all scheduled shifts on the Tasting Room floor.
- Applicants should have a great attitude and take pride in communicating effectively with customers and fellow employees.
- Applicants must be able to stand for long periods of time and be comfortable working on their feet. Applicants must also be able to lift 60 lbs (this is a bona fide requirement of the job)
- Must pass the ABC LEAD certification (alcohol service) within 60 days of commencing employment, and ServSafe Food Server certification prior to first day working in the Tasting Room. Successful applicants must renew these certifications (or their equivalent if changed over time) thereafter in accordance with company policy and regulatory requirements.
- Must be a team player, honest, trustworthy, dedicated, hard-working, self-motivated, and possess a keen attention to detail. A personal commitment to cleanliness and efficiency is required.
- When clocked in under the Tasting Room Floor shift, the employee must spend 90-95% of their time in the line of service to remain in the tip pool.
- Must love sours.
- This position does not have the ability to hire, fire, or formally discipline staff.
- Greet guests in a welcoming manner
- Verify age from a government issued ID card before serving alcohol
- Efficiently take orders and promptly serve guests (food, bottled/draft beer, merchandise)
- Maintain a knowledge of the TRB brand to address any guest questions
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of what sour beer is and how it is made
- Be able to competently describe all products available for sale
- Accurately calculate food and merchandise bills, collect payments, and handle cash
- Prepare hot food according to safe food handling practices
- Act as an overall outstanding ambassador for our growing company.
Cleaning and Maintenance:
- Wash and rotate glassware
- Maintain a clean bar during and after service
- Assist in cleaning draft system on a regular basis
- Bus tables, clean dishes, and clean kitchen at closing
- Maintain clean bathrooms
- Rotate kegs and help keep the cold box organized
- Participate in opening and closing cleaning responsibilities
- Train new Tasting Room Servers in all aspects of the Tasting Room according to the Tasting Room SOP and Playbook.
- Escalate any staff issues that may break Employee Handbook policy, break job description responsibilities, or cause conflict between staff that prevent them from performing their jobs to either the Tasting Room Manager or Director of Sales and Marketing.
- Oversee staff on Tasting Room floor when Tasting Room Manager is not working the floor to ensure they are adhering to the standards outlined in the Tasting Room SOP and Playbook.
- Successfully handle any escalated customer issues. Escalate any unresolved issues to Tasting Room Manager or Director of Sales and Marketing
- Accommodate VIP’s
- Give brewery tours when needed
- Continue training for Tasting Room servers on service, hospitality, menu items.
- Oversee the lunch break schedule during Tasting Room shifts
- Monitor and respond to Tasting Room voicemails
- Create Skus and Pricing for products sold in Tasting Room, accurately update POS with products, and set up POS for service.
- Create and print accurate menus
- Maintain and clean our draft system, which includes, but is not limited to, cleaning faucets, beer lines, replacing old or flavor-stained beer lines, labeling faucets with beer names, selecting the best line to put beers on,
- Prepare End Of Week cash reports and replenish Cash Drawers and Petty Cash.
- Order guest beer, wine, and coldbrew coffee.
- Order and keep inventory in stock for beer serving gas, Tasting Room dry goods, and all other Tasting Room supplies. Maintain a clean and organized storage area in the Room of Requirement, area surrounding the printer, and conference room.
- Submit beer and wine invoices to our Accountant with enough time for us to pay all vendors by the time each invoice is due.
- Assist Tasting Room Manager in operations for special events
- Run last minute supply errands for kitchen
- Manage empty guest kegs and ensure they are returned to breweries in a timely manner and readily available for them to pick up when they deliver more kegs.
Some Benefits Include
- Health Benefits - The Rare Barrel pays 80% of the premium for health benefits for any full time employee (30+ hours per week) for our bronze plan.
- Paid Vacation - All employees accrue paid vacation at a rate of 2 weeks/year when employed for 0-3 years, 3 weeks per year when employed 3-5 years, and 5 weeks per year when employed for 5 or more years.
- Beer, Food, Merch, and Discount - Every employee is given bottles of each bottle release, complementary beer in the Tasting Room (during and outside of normal hours of operation) while not clocked in on a shift, Employee Gift Card that can be used to purchase meals/additional bottles/merch, and a 40% Employee Discount.
- Pre-employment background check and screening for illegal drugs (excluding cannabis) is required.
- The Rare Barrel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.
- To apply, please send a cover letter and resume as one .PDF document to Bobby at email@example.com with “Assistant Tasting Room Manager – INSERT FIRST NAME LAST NAME” in the subject line. Thank you!