February 1, 2021 | The Rare Barrel
We're Hiring | Part Time Tasting Room Server
The Rare Barrel, a sour beer-focused brewery with rotating guest beers and a kitchen, based in Berkeley, CA, has an immediate opening for a part-time position as a Tasting Room Server and Production/Sales & Marketing Assistant. We are searching for someone responsible and trustworthy who can match our passion for craft beer and commitment to quality. Prior experience working in a brewery, winery or distillery is preferred.
Minimum of 2 Tasting Room shifts per week (part-time) and 1-2 shifts per week working in production and/or Sales & Marketing, and additional special events.
$15.00/hour + tips during Tasting Room shifts. $15.00/hr for Production/Sales & Marketing shifts.
This position reports directly to the General Manager and Assistant Tasting Room Manager.
We are looking for a team player, who is honest, trustworthy, dedicated, hard-working, self-motivated as well as possess a great attitude and attention to detail. Applicants should also take pride in communicating effectively with customers and fellow employees. A personal commitment to cleanliness and organization is required.
Must be available to work all days the Tasting Room & Kitchen is open (Thursdays-Sundays) and Mondays.
This is a physical position. Applicants will be required to occasionally lift kegs ups to 60 lbs safely (this is a bona fide occupational qualification), to stand for long periods of time, and be comfortable working on their feet. Safety is always a priority. Due to the physical nature of the job and the inherent risks of working in a production facility doing this job safely is every employee’s first priority.
Applicants are required to pass the ABC LEAD certification (alcohol service) within 60 days of commencing employment, and ServSafe Food Server certification prior to the first day working in the Tasting Room & Kitchen. Applicants are required to renew these certifications (or their equivalent if changed over time) thereafter in accordance with company policy and regulatory requirements.
Must love craft beer.
Shifts and Availability
Tasting Room Shift Hours
- Thursdays 1:00-11:30PM
- Fridays 3:00PM-11:30PM
- Saturdays 10:00AM-11:30PM
- Sundays 10:00AM-9:00PM
Production/Sales & Marketing Shift Hours
- Mondays 9:00-3:00PM
- Thursdays 10:00-4:00PM
- Fridays 10:00 - 4:00PM
*Availability for special events, which occur around 12-15 times per year, is also required.
*Hours of operations are subject to change.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Greet guests in a welcoming manner
- Verify age from a government-issued ID card before serving alcohol
- Efficiently take orders and promptly serve guests (food, bottled/draft beer, merchandise)
- Maintain knowledge of the The Rare Barrel brand to address any guest questions
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of what sour beer is and how it is made
- Be able to competently describe all products available for sale and upsell customers on items to go, membership and subscriptions programs, food program, and/or events
- Understand, describe, and sell customers on our membership and subscription programs
- Accurately calculate food and merchandise bills, collect payments, and handle cash
- Prepare and serve food according to safe food handling practices
- Act as an overall outstanding ambassador for our growing company.
Cleaning and Maintenance:
- Maintain all Tasting Room glassware to a “beer-clean” standard
- Maintain a clean bar during and after service
- Assist in cleaning draft system on a regular basis
- Bus tables, clean dishes, and clean kitchen at closing
- Maintain clean bathrooms
- Rotate kegs and help keep the cold box organized
- Participate in opening and closing cleaning responsibilities
- Participate in all-staff “Deep Clean” days bi-annually
May include but is not exclusive to
- Folding, stocking, organizing, and counting merchandise
- Cleaning, prepping, and organizing event equipment
- Stocking, organizing, and counting Tasting Room & Kitchen non-consumable items
- Stocking, consolidating, and organizing fulfillment aisle
- Assisting Sales & Marketing with packing account shipments
- Assisting Production with waxing and labeling bottles
Production/Sales & Marketing Duties:
May include but is not exclusive to
- Assisting Production in packaging (bottling and canning, labeling, waxing)
- Assisting Production in secondary ingredient processing
- Assisting Production in beer data collection/tastings
- Assisting Production/Sales & Marketing in organizational projects
- Assisting Sales & Marketing in order fulfillment
- Assisting in organizational projects
- Assisting Sales & Marketing in monthly inventory
Pre-employment background check and drug test (cannabis excluded) are required.
The Rare Barrel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Rare Barrel recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter in a single PDF to email@example.com with the subject “Tasting Room Application: LAST NAME, FIRST NAME”. Thank you!