Enrollment for Ambassadors of Sour, our 2015 beer club, will open on September 30th at 8AM PST
We are excited to announce that we are opening up a limited number of memberships for the Founder’s Club! Below are some of the highlights for the Founder’s Club:
- Ten 750 mL bottles of sour beer (Blender’s Choice)
- First right to purchase most bottle releases online
- 10% discount on all purchases in tasting room and online
- One custom ceramic 32oz. growler
- Two pieces of custom glassware
- Membership ID card
- First right of acceptance for 2015 membership
- Option to pick-up at brewery, ship within California (at an additional cost), or assign a trustee
- Cost - $300 (+tax). Non-refundable
A Founder's Club Membership will cost $300 (+tax). Memberships will go on sale on Friday, October 11th at 9am PST. Membership benefits start on January 1st, and conclude on December 31st, 2014. Here are more details about the Founder’s Club
10 Sour Beers
Membership in this club includes 10 bottles of sour beer that the blenders at The Rare Barrel will create specifically for the Founders Club. Of the 10 bottles included in the membership, we anticipate that there will be two bottles each of five different brands. These beers will be blended specifically for the Founder’s Club, and as always, we will work to create the best blends that we possibly can. These beers may be released throughout 2014. Our intent is to release these beers only to the Founder’s Club, however, it is possible that there will be a slight overage in production. When this happens, The Rare Barrel plans to offer Founder’s Club members the opportunity to purchase additional bottles. We also plan to cellar or serve these excess small-batch blends and may release them at special events. If there are excess bottles after the Founder’s Club members have the opportunity to purchase them, and we decide not to cellar or serve the remaining bottles, we may sell them to the public.
First Right to Purchase Bottled Beer
In 2014, we anticipate having limited quantities of each release available to the public. However, as a Founder’s Club member, you will have the first right to purchase a limited number of bottles of most bottled releases through the website (www.therarebarrel.com) before anyone else. We may sell the draft version of a particular release before we sell the bottled version. Additionally, we might have some brands that are only offered for sale in the tasting room.
Founder’s Club members will receive a 10% discount on purchases made through the tasting room and website. This includes bottles, draft beer, growler fills, apparel, and food.
We will also be selling and filling a limited number of 32oz. glass growlers in our tasting room, however, members are are guaranteed a 32 oz. ceramic growler that is unique to the Founder’s Club. Due to limited production volumes, we can only offer small number of beers available for growler fills. For our regular glass growlers, we will strive to make one beer available for growler fills. Members will have access to this beer with their Founder's Club growler plus exclusive access to one additional beer of our choosing. Founder’s Club growlers can be filled by the Founder’s Club member or their trustee. Empty growlers can be picked-up in the tasting room or shipped at an additional charge.
Each member will receive two pieces of glassware that are specific to the Founder’s Club. Glassware can be shipped (at additional charge) or picked-up in the tasting room.
Membership ID Card
Membership also includes a personalized, non-transferrable, membership card. Show your membership card in the tasting room to receive your 10% discount.
First Right of Acceptance to 2015 Membership
Founder’s Club members will have the first right to purchase a membership with our 2015 sour beer club. The number of memberships available for 2015 is currently undetermined, but will be based on production volumes and our ability to provide club members with limited release blends. Either way, each Founder’s Club member will have the opportunity to purchase a 2015 membership. Additionally, the 2014 club will be the only one called the “Founder’s Club.” Subsequent memberships will have a different name.
Order Shipping and Pick-up
Founder’s Club members will have three options for fulfilling their orders placed online. Members cann either pick-up beer at brewery, shipping beer to their house/business within California, or a designate a trustee to pick-up their beer for them.
- Pick-up at brewery – Members can place orders online, and then pick them up in the tasting room, at no additional charge. Orders can only be picked-up from the tasting room during normal tasting room hours.
- Shipping within California – Members who live or work in California will also have the opportunity to have their orders shipped directly to them at an additional cost. If you would like to save on shipping costs, members will have the option to compound orders by shipping multiple orders at once. At this point, only Founder’s Club members will be able to change shipping options and compound multiple orders into the same shipment. The Rare Barrel is only legally allowed to ship to addresses within California, even if your state allows beer shipping. A signature and government issued ID proving that the person accepting the packing is 21+ years of age will be required upon delivery. We cannot ship beer to P.O. boxes.
- Trustee - A member of the Founder’s Club may designate a Trustee to pick-up their beers in the tasting room and fill their Founder’s Club growler. This is a great option for members who live outside of California and are not able to visit the tasting room. We are happy to fill Founder’s Club growlers for trustees. The 10% discount and other club benefits do not apply to trustees.
Founder’s Club membership is valid through December 31st, 2014. Beer purchased through the membership can be stored at The Rare Barrel up to March 31st, 2015.
Are you in?
Our first four sour beers are ready! Here is a little more info about these beers:
SKUs Me | Golden Sour Beer Aged In Oak Barrels | 5.3%
"SKUs me, is there any room on this shelf for another new brewery? There is? Great!!" SKUs Me, which is our very first blend, was fermented with Brettanomyces yeast and Lactobacillus bacteria and aged in oak barrels. This moderately tart golden sour beer has notes of lemon zest and hay.
Ensorcelled | Dark Sour Beer Aged In Oak Barrels With Raspberries | 5.8%
Ensorcelled is a blend of our oak-aged red sour beer and oak-aged black Brettanomyces beer. After blending our red and black sours together, we added raspberries and let the beer age in barrels for a few more months.
Shadows of Their Eyes | Dark Sour Beer Aged In Oak Barrels | 5.6%
Shadows of Their Eyes is a dark sour beer fermented with Brettanomyces yeast and Lactobacillus bacteria and aged in oak barrels. Aromas of chocolate complement the dark fruit notes in this assertively sour beer.
Proportional Response | Amber Sour Beer Aged In Oak Barrels | 4.8%
Proportional Response, a balanced amber sour beer, is a blend of our mouth-puckering red sour beer and our faintly tart pale sour beer. The result of this blend is well-balanced amber sour beer with moderate tartness and hints of cherries and grapefruit.
Our first draft beers are ready to be served! Starting on October 17th, we’ll have a few events around the Bay Area to give you a sneak peak of our sour beers.
Here are the details on the first four events scheduled:
Thursday, October 17th, 5-9pm, City Beer Store, 1168 Folsom St #101, San Francisco
Friday, October 18th, 5-9pm, Beer Revolution, 464 3rd St, Oakland
Sunday, October 20th, 12-5pm, Sour Sunday @ Jupiter, 2181 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley
Saturday, October 26th, 4-7pm, Livermore Saloon (by The Beer Barron), 2223 1st Street, Livermore
Each of the craft beer spots listed above will be serving two of our oak-aged sours on draft, accompanied by The Rare Barrel crew. Come by, say hi, and get a sneak preview of some of the beers we will be serving in our tasting room, which will hopefully be open by the end of November. We will be having a few more events over the next couple of months if you can’t make any of the three listed above.
Our dream of serving our first sour beers has been years in the making, so we couldn’t be more excited to share our first sour beers with you!